Saturday, June 02, 2007

Go Speed Racer, Go Speed Racer, Go Speed Racer, Go-oooo!!!


When I was but a wee lad I would watch a cartoon which hailed from Japan. It featured a young race car mechanic who, despite his father's initial disapproval became the most Awesomely Awesome race car driver. This show had it all. The kid's younger brother had a pet monkey, his girlfriend was named (get this) Trixie (who could fly a helicopter), a masked arch nemesis named simply Racer X, who turned out to be-
Almost ruined the secret...
And a plethora of desperate race car drivers, thugs, and run of the mill baddies who more often than not met their makers due to horrible racing accidents.
That cartoon was called "Speed Racer", (Mach Go Go Go in Japan) and it is being made into a live action movie. The movie is bound to SUCK, because Emile Hirsch and Christina Ricci will head up the cast as Speed and Trixie, while Matthew Fox will play X. John Goodman and Susan Sarandon round up the cast as Speed's dad "Pops", and mother "Mom Racer"
Anyway, the main reason I loved the show so much was because of the Mach 5.
Speed Racer's sweet ass ride.
It is definitely one of my favorite tv/film cars, only to follow Drag-u-la, Grampa's Casket(!?!) Hot Rod from the Munsters, and James Bond's Aston Martin DB5
The car had all sorts of crazy gadgets that would get Speed out of sticky situations. It even had a robot homing pidgeon for God's sake!
They seemed to have followed the specs to the letter from the cartoon Mach 5, and man is that car beautiful.
It's a shame that in order to see it, I'll have to shell out about 10 smackers to see it in the theater. I'ts ALSO a shame that I don't plan to shell out the dough for a film that will only destroy all the fond memories I have of the series.
Ah well, it will eventually make it to the library, and I'll just put the tv on mute, and fast forward thru all the stinky bits.
At least I'll get to see the Real Mach 5 in action.
PEACE.

No comments: