Saturday, June 02, 2007

Objectification Objection


It would seem that somebody in my neighborhood had a big problem with 99.7's billboard. Someone painted "women aren't objects" across the front I guess to protest it's obvious depiction of female breasts as objects. I would also guess that the individual protesting this billboard feels that women as a Whole should be revered, and not just their chests.
Let me just throw something out here.
At what point was the woman objectified?
Was it when the billboard was posted?
Was it when she modeled for the poster?
Or was it when she had her chest surgically swollen?
I mean, what is the purpose of getting a boob job anyway?
There are lots of reasons, but the most popular seems to be to improve, or change one's self or perceived image.
In my book, breast enhancement is the epitome of objectification.
According to our screwed up society, women with bigger breasts are considered sexier. We tend to make up other names to replace SEX OBJECT-like, "Kitten" or "Pot", but a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
Who cares about the woman's intellectual merits, bring on the big ones.
Who cares what color your eyes are?
You have eyes?
There's even an old joke about the perfect woman being headless.
Before I go further, I COULD be wrong about the whole surgical enhancement thing. The model COULD have naturally bulbous, almost perfectly circular breasts.
Nature COULD have provided the model with TOTALLY unnatural looking knockers.
(Sorry ladies-I just couldn't resist saying "knockers")
Doubtful as it may be, those circumstances COULD be the case.
But, the model placed her breasts on display.
It's gonna be a hard sell convincing me that she had no clue that her image would be used for something other than showing off the "girls".
And that, dear friends is why I agree with the protester in that, women are NOT objects, and shouldn't be considered so (unless it is their desire to be) but I disagree with the context in which the protester protested. I don't feel the woman is being objectified SOLELY by 99.7 f.m. I feel SHE ultimately was instrumental in her objectification BEFORE she ended up on that billboard.
Let me know what you ladies think.
PEACE.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i agree completely man.