Saturday, May 26, 2007

Son, You Make The Call...

on Sunday, June 3rd my son is going to be Baptized.
I really don't know what to expect. I have only witnessed what? Two Baptisms. I know there is a "class" that the wife and I have to attend, but I have no clue as to what is to transpire. My wife's uncle is a Catholic Priest, and he will be performing the ritual. He's the same guy that married us, so I guess having a padre around can be quite handy.
I wonder if having a priest in your back pocket grants you a free spot on the Heaven Express?
I sure hope so.
Although I don't believe in all the fantastic miracles contained within the Bible, I do believe that the logical occurrences described actual events.
I guess I consider the Bible a history book.
I don't believe that Christianity is the one true faith, and that all others are doomed to the Pit.
I can't bring myself to believe that Ghandi is in Hell because he was not a Christian.
Bearing that in mind, my dilemma is this.
How valid, or effective can the boy's Baptism be if he is raised to believe/understand that NO individual who lives a respectful and righteous life should suffer simply because they don't adhere to a SPECIFIC group of morals?
The beliefs we plan to instill in the boy will contradict some of the beliefs we will PROMISE the Church that we will instill in him.
Why do the baptism then?
Well, I think that initiating some of the teachings of Chrisianity will help provide the basic understanding of right and wrong, and positivity projection.
I Completely disagree with most of the past and present actions and ideas carried out and/or enforced by organized religious groups, but I realize that religion creates HOPE, and sets standards for acceptable behavior toward our fellow man. A morality reminder nudge if you will.
I don't know.
Lord knows I have a bit of a problem with organized religion, but it's not fair to bombard my kid with my hangups in regard to religion's less desireable aspects.
All we can do is try and provide the boy with enough information so that he can form his own opinions about which (if any) religion/faith is right for him.
PEACE.

1 comment:

SRH said...

Baptism is more about introducing your child to a community more than a statement of faith. The Christian baptism of infants does not go back to the idea of John the Baptist in biblical times, it harkens back further to initiation ceremonies for a newborn into villages and communities. Just the kid sprinkled with water and have people oooh and aaaah over him.

How many "TRUE" Christians have you ever met, and how many people have you met who were baptized?