Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The Adventures of Baby Amazing!!!

Well, the boy is 12 days old today! The last baby doc visit- by the way, from here on out, our Pediatrician will be known as "baby doc", because it is highly unlikely that I'll see the wife's OBGyn again till the next kid. Anyway, Monday's visit went well. The week before, Baby Doc gave us a bit of homework. He wanted the boy to gain 7oz.. I wasn't sure how he wanted us to accomplish this feat, short of stuffing the sprout's gullet with food at random times throughout the day. Granted, the boy is a small fry, but 7oz. is a lot of weight to gain in one week for a newborn.
Monday arrives, and we knew he had gained some weight, because the kid was really eating. Nonstop it seemed.
The nurse had us strip him down, and place him on what looked like a produce scale, and we awaited anxiously for the result...
"Wow" she said.
"He really ate a lot this week didn't he?"
"Umm, yeah" we both responded.
"He gained 10oz."
...
I think our responses were, "DAMN! That's great!"
I guess the kid can really eat. The rest of the visit was good. All is well-he's in tip top shape, and seems to be progressing very well.
Because he's eating more, we are sleeping more. The more food he seems to consume, the more he wants to sleep.
WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!
No more getting up 50 times during the night to change, feed and record the time and frequency of both of those activities in his little "growth journal"!
No more getting up in the middle of the night to calm him down because he's bored, and doesn't realize that at 1:45 a.m
you are supposed to be asleep.
The kid is really a breeze. I think we are going to be as spoiled as he will be. He really only cries if he's wet, hungry, or chilly.
All his waking hours are spent looking around, and listening intently. I really believe the kid is going to be pretty intelligent.
Of course I'm biased, but he's doing things that frankly, a NORMAL 12 day old just doesn't do.
Case(s) in point.
1. He pushes off the floor and our bodies with a good amount of force when he is dangled above them. (I can feel the tiny
muscles in his thighs and calves tighten when he pushes with his little legs)
2. He lifts his head and holds it steady for about two to three seconds before it plops back to our shoulders and chests when
we hold him upright.
3. He is Always looking around. I regularly see his eyes pan and scan objects that are within his visual area. (about 2-3 feet)
4. The kid likes music. If either of us sing to him, he seems to focus intently on the voice he's hearing, and he immediately
relaxes, going limp like a wet noodle.
So based on all these observations, I'm convinced we have a smart cookie on our hands.
I've also been conducting musical experiments with the little guy. I'll play various types of music to see how he responds. He's had the most noticeable reactions to Don Ho, Cesaria Evora, The Clientele, and The Shin's new cd, "Wincing the Night Away".
Speaking of which, the new album is pretty sweet. I have been listening to it nonstop since purchasing it last night, and I plan to give a review soon.
Next up in the musical experiment is Salsa, Reggae, Blues, and Jazz. I'll keep you posted as to how the kid responds, and who he likes.
Alright, I've talked your ears off, so I'm gonna say over and out.

P.S. Even though I HATE winter, I'm glad we got a boatload of snow tonight (3-4 in. DUMPED on us) It's keeping my mom here for a couple more days. I know it's selfish, but I'm not ready for her to go back to Florida just yet...
PEACE.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jay and Katie, I am sooooo proud of you 2! What a wonderful thing....you created a person...a real person with fingers, toes and such a beauty. But, can you imagine having created a person that created a person. I am trying to let it all sink in and enjoy the moment. I love you both very much.

Grandpa!

Frederic's Hair Design said...

Hey, thanx Gramps! We love you too, and look forward to seeing your face when you see his!