Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Some Snow Day...

Today I made the long trek to work (20 minutes elapsed when normally it takes me about 8) trudging through the 4-6 in. of snow and slush that dumped on us last night. After lots of slipping and sliding, I finally made it to work. I had a 10 a.m. appointment, and although not wanting to be at work, I was raring to go.
Before I go any further, let me just express to you how much I HATE snow. 1. If I never saw a single flake again, I'd be a happy man. 2. Pulling teeth would be considered recreation when compared to driving in the snow in my book. 3. I'd walk barefoot on hot coals rather than step out in a fresh blanket of crummy snow, ultimately getting snow in my shoes/boots.
Anyway, I was raring to go.
But-
After about 1/2 hour, my client did not show up. The Canuck informed me that people were cancelling appointments left and right, so I just figured my client would call and let me know that she would not be braving the elements for her monthly visit.
I continued waiting.
Nothing.
Finally the Canuck ended up calling her, and when she answered, she was asked if she remembered that she had an appointment this morning.
Her response both annoyed me, and made sense at the same time. She simply assumed that we would be closed for the day due to the extreme weather, and therefore didn't feel it was necessary to call and cancel/reschedule her appointment. As I said, it makes sense, because it seems like everyone else was having a snow day EXCEPT my job.
(That's a gross exaggeration, but later in the day, pretty much everyone else in the city DID end up getting off early)
So, then, the boss ended up closing for the day, and I was headed home. After another looooong trip on the freeway, I finally made it home just in time to shovel the quickly accumulating snow before the forecasted freezing rain was to hit. After shoveling, I went to work straightening up the house, doing some important paperwork, mopping the kitchen floor, and preparing dinner. Criminy, I had to shovel the front porch AGAIN (at 11:45) this evening because I was unable to open the front storm door due to the foot deep drifts of ice glazed snow. Just as I finished, gigantic snow flakes had started to fall pretty quickly. (We are supposed to get up to 8 more inches tonight and into tomorrow) My guess is that we will be home yet again tomorrow. Despite all of the activities that took place on my sanctioned hooky day, I was able to slip a nap in, although initially I had planned on retreating to the warmth of my bed, only to emerge the following day.
Ah, well, the best laid plans, and all that jazz...
Besides, there's always tomorrow.
PEACE.

No comments: