Thursday, December 21, 2006

"He Aint Heavy..."

So there's this guy whom I've known longer than any of my peers, friends, girlfriends, and even my lovely wife. He and I have had some ups and downs, good times, and Real bad times. I have always loved the guy more than I'm sure I'll ever be able to tell him, (at the risk of sounding all sappy) and there were times when I hated everything he stood for. (I'm sure this was caused by our incredible rivalry) I'm grateful that despite the crummy times, we kept in mind that we were brothers, and moved beyond the petty rivalry bullshit.
I admire his stubbornness, his ability to stick up for himself, and his willingness to speak his mind. Those are qualities he inherited from his dad. He is a college graduate, and working in the field he majored in. (Archaeology-COOL!) I'm impressed by the fact that he develops and sustains relationships for YEARS. He has had some of the same friends for 3/4ths of his life. Wow.
You have to be an o.k. dude if folks are willing to be your friends for 20+ years...
What's interesting is, although he and I have known each other for 31 years, I really don't know who my brother really is. Don't get me wrong, I KNOW the guy, but there are THINGS I don't know about him. For instance, I don't know his favorite food, hip-hop song, or even the guy's favorite movie. You know, basic stuff. It's not that we don't talk, I just don't think we've had a simple conversation. Our conversations usually involve us speaking about specific things going on in our lives. He's been attempting to contact me more recently, and due to the season, and baby preparation, I haven't been able to stay in touch with him like I should. This year, I hope to see and converse with him more often, and I plan on getting to know just WHO my brother is.
Def Jeff, I want to let you know that I love you, and I am proud of you, and I look forward to finding out all about you my brother.
PEACE.

No comments: