Monday, October 09, 2006

Mmm, donuts...

Today we had a staff meeting which took place on the opposite side of town, and by opposite, I mean OPPOSITE. I had to travel on no less than Three Freeways (71/70/&270) to reach my destination. (I guess living 5 min. from work has kind of spoiled me) To make matters worse, it was a day off. Not cool, considering how little free time baby preparation affords me these days. Coincidentally, that lack of free time is also the reason I've slacked in my writing, and "keeping in touch with friendly folks" responsibilities. (Sorry Mrs. Cole, Ms. Green, Mr. & MIZ(smile) Olmon, Mr. Dunbar, Mr. SRH, and mr. Jam) So, the staff meeting began at 11:00 a.m., and was scheduled to go until 2:00 p.m. Three hours?!? Are you kidding me? I embark on my journey kinda heated under the collar. For the first Couple of Freeways I am Cussing. Although it's under my breath, and there is no fluctuation of vocal tone or volume, I'm still cussing. That is until I draw nearer to Resche's Bakery. Each time I am on the far East side of town, I must carry out THREE rituals.
1. I MUST stop at the aforementioned bakery for one dozen donuts. (6 glazed/6 stick) They have the BEST, and I'm really not kidding-stick doughnut I have ever tasted. It's like a moist cake inside, and slightly crunchy and sweet on the outside with just ENOUGH icing, not drowning in it like Krispy Kreme donuts. (Honestly, I don't understand why people go ape over those) Back in the day, my brother and I would save the money given us to use for our wonderfully nutritious and tasty school lunches and spend it on donuts to be enjoyed on our bus ride home. (We rode the public bus to and from school at the time) The lovely wife has also become a fan, so she now gets just as excited as I do when I bring them home. While waiting in line I (as I always do) began to salivate and my words became jumbled in my excitement to place my order. I hope the $5 wasn't too sweaty because my palms were wet I'm sure. Damn, I had to have me some donuts man!
Upon leaving, I quickly popped open the box which contained my sugary treasures. I kid you not, I finished a stick before I even reached the car.
On the road to my meeting, I took care of rituals 2&3.
2. I Must stop by Manfeld Drive to see my Second favorite house in my Favorite old neighborhood. I always check to see if any old friends and neighbors are still there, (hello arnie, mamie, john, and craig) and if the current owners of "my house" are taking care of it. (not really)
3. I MUST stop by my Favorite house in my Second favorite neighborhood on Critchfield Road for the same reasons stated
in 2. (this house looks great, as does the 'hood)
All that nostalgia made my meeting not so bad and the trip well worth the drive.
And besides, I had another awesome stick donut waiting for me when the meeting was over.
PEACE.

No comments: