Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Books, books, and more books...

So after a while of indecision, I've decided to read The Island of Blue Dolphins (Scott O'Dell) to the baby each nite, so he/she can become aware of my voice while in the womb. I know, at first it sounds kinda hokey, but according to several books and our doctor, the sprout is able to hear our voices right now. And in order to bond earlier, and easier with the baby, I guess it's recommended that the father speak to him/her directly. So, what I've chosen to do is read. I enjoy doing it, so why not just do it out loud? Island of Blue Dolphins was and remains to be one of the many books that I have enjoyed immensely, and the lovely wife never got to read it, so hopefully I can create two more fans of the book.
I have also been re-reading the Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien). It has become a totally different book for me now that I am an adult.
Subjects like self-doubt, acceptance of differing individuals, progression toward maturity, reliability, and responsibility pretty much took a back seat to the action, and material to be used as inspiration for my Dungeon Master duties. (What's up fellow D&D geeks!) All in all, it has become much more than the novel it was previously, and I'm glad I picked it up again. Next up will be Life of Pi (Yann Martel). I've been told it's pretty good. But not until I get back from Florida, so I've got to finish The Hobbit quick. (I'm 1/2 way there)
For Florida I'm taking a novel that a guy I know told me about, and keeps getting on me about finishing. I'ts called "A White Merc With Fins"(James Hawes). It's about a slacker, a latin chef, a female getaway driver, a guy with a Reservoir Dogs fetish, and a bank heist.
This winter, I plan on reading the speeches of Thomas Paine to get me all hyped up, Player Piano (Kurt Vonnegut) to appease my science fiction bug, ALL my comic boo- er, Graphic Novels (see Avengers assemble entry), and I will try to get through Titus Andronicus (William Shakespeare) because the sheer brutality that occurs within the book is intriguing. (Yeah, I like that kind of stuff)
Well hopefully, that should keep me away from the t.v., and it's hypnotic glow for a while. Stay tuned for the inevitable reviews of each.
Peace.

No comments: