Monday, September 04, 2006

You wanna supersize those vows?

Well, I guess Nevada-specifically Las Vegas has become a little less hypocritical. Recently, the city ruled that marriage licenses were now unattainable during the hours of 12a.m. to 8a.m.. That doesn't sound like much to cheer about, but for a state that supposedly considers the act of marriage a serious, and sacred ritual between a man and woman in love I guess that's good news. Good news indeed, because those specific hours are PRIME times that drunk assed folks pull up to the drive-thru window and place an order with elvis for a marriage certificate and fries. How's that for serious and sacred?
Why do I even care you ask? Well, I care because the state has very clear views on the sanctity of marriage, and what makes one "valid". Fine and dandy, but when inebriated weddings like Angelina Jolie and Billy Bob Thornton, Carmen Electra and Dennis Rodman, and Britney Spears, and whoever that guy was, constitute as valid in the eyes of Nevada's governing body, but mike and james' or sharon and debbie's marriages do not, well now we have some serious hypocrisy. Now, I'm not saying that all same-sex unions are gonna be peachy keen, continuing until death do they part but c'mon- don't gays deserve the chance to get drunk, wake up married, and divorce just like celebrities and the rest of us do?
What I'm trying to say is who cares about WHO gets married and HOW they do so. What matters is WHY they want to get married. If two people claim to love each other (no matter how close or far from sobriety) and want to get hitched, then so be it. As a married man, I have no problem with it. I don't feel as if I'd be cheated out of something just because a couple of guys or ladies want to be legally considered a couple. Hell, misery loves company. Besides, it's one of the last civil rights issues, and I cannot ignore anything to do with civil rights given who I am and where I come from.
Just pass the bill approving same sex unions Nevada. Personally, I don't think the rest of the country would be too surprised if you did. It's not like we consider you to be the pillar of morality. For God's sake, you have an ad campaign that promotes the old "hush-hush" in terms of questionable behavior that occurs within your borders. And do I even need to bring up the legalized prostitution?
Buck up Nevada. You're one of the cool states. Other states want to be just like you. Legalize same sex unions, and you might just prompt a few states to follow suit.(including mine) Maybe with your help, the whole nation can come to accept people for who they are, and who they want to be with will be a non-issue.
Peace?

2 comments:

SRH said...

I have never thought if Nevada as the cool kid that all the other states look up to, but I think you are right. It is the state that all the other statyes wish they could be.

Honestly, if there were a dollar to be made by it, I would not be surprised if Nevada would legalize marrying a horse. That is just how they roll.

Frederic's Hair Design said...

TRUE DAT HOMIE!